Butterick 5982: DIY Fit and Flare Party Dress
As has become something of a tradition now, I made a dress for my birthday, which I celebrated yesterday with Philip and Kezia. We went to the City of York, toured a Viking museum, did some shopping, and stayed in a lovely country house hotel with good food and a swim this morning.
It’s becoming increasingly difficult to photograph outdoors (with the weather and light being so poor) so these shots were taken inside our suite at the hotel. The pattern is Butterick 5982, and you can see my first version of this dress here. Quite a different effect, no? Just down to using a completely different fabric. This fabric, by the way, was purchased local to me, and is a lovely rich rayon/ poly jacquard. I pre-washed the fabric so it is easy to care for. It hardly creases, is warm but surprisingly lightweight and I think this dress will definitely see me through the upcoming festive season.
You can read my original review on this pattern here. That review also details any changes I made to the pattern. But here are some brief notes specifically relating to this version:
- This is view A with the boat neck bodice
- I added 1 inch to the length of the back skirt, tapering to nothing at the sides, to account for shortening the back bodice by 1 inch
- I finished the edges of the waist seam and the skirt using a 3 thread overlock finish
- The dress is fully lined (polyester? acetate? lining). I cut the skirt lining 2 inches shorter than the dress skirt
- I applied fusible interfacing to the zipper opening and used an invisible zip. This is probably my best invisible zip insertion ever.
- I decided last minute to omit the sleeves from this version so I used the pattern pieces to draft 2 inch wide facings to finish the armholes. I took 1/4 inch to neaten the edges and used 3/8 inch only to sew the facings to the armhole. The facings are catch stitched by hand into place
- I did change the order of construction quite a bit. I sewed the bodice and bodice sides first. Then I attached the skirt. I then inserted the invisible zip. Then I sewed the bodice lining and attached the lining to the dress bodice at the neck and understitched. I then attached the skirt lining, machined the lining to the zipper tape, applied the armhole facing and finally sewed the hem by hand.
I really love my birthday dress! I felt comfortable but special in it and I definitely think I need an excuse to wear it again.
Here’s one of my favourite pictures of the night: